The Walt Disney Company webcast its Investor Day 2019 on April 11, 2019. The event included presentations on the Company’s direct-to-consumer streaming services, including the upcoming Disney+.
Information in this presentation, including financial estimates and statements such as those regarding expected results, profitability, losses and performance metrics; expectations about general markets, markets we may serve and our potential consumer or subscriber base, including size, growth, composition, geography, consumption and other information; statements regarding the future of our products including content, launch dates and timing, availability, investment, expense, pricing, technical performance and capabilities, advertising, marketing and other expectations and plans regarding our products; the expected benefits of recent transactions; and other statements that are not historical facts may constitute “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are made on the basis of management’s views and assumptions regarding future events and business performance as of the time the statements are made. We are not under any obligation, and we expressly disclaim any obligation, to update, alter, or otherwise revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise. You are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements which speak only as of the date hereof. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties, and actual results might differ materially from those discussed in, or implied by, the forward-looking statements. Such differences may result from actions taken by the Company, including restructuring or strategic initiatives (including capital investments or asset acquisitions or dispositions), from execution risk in technology, service promotion, or creative development as well as from developments beyond the Company’s control, including:
- changes in competitive conditions;
- consumer preferences and willingness to pay for an expanding set of direct-to-consumer services;
- changes in domestic and global economic conditions;
- government regulation, including revised foreign content and ownership regulations;
- poor quality broadband infrastructure in certain markets;
- international, political, or military developments;
- technological developments;
- adverse weather conditions or natural disasters; and
- health concerns.
Such developments may affect entertainment, travel and leisure businesses generally and may, among other things, affect:
- demand for our products and services;
- performance of our direct-to-consumer technology platforms;
- performance of the Company’s theatrical and original direct-to-consumer releases;
- the advertising market for entertainment programming and services;
- expenses of providing medical and pension benefits;
- income tax expense;
- performance of some or all company businesses either directly or through their impact on those who distribute our products; and
- achievement of anticipated benefits of the recent transaction with 21st Century Fox.
Additional factors are set forth in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 29, 2018 under Item 1A, “Risk Factors” and subsequent reports.